Welcome to the World's Fair Newsletter: July 2015
Website Update Progress
Way ahead of schedule, this site has been completely re-coded to work on desktops and mobile devices.
You will find that most images are now larger than before, especially the ones that offer a larger version when clicked on.
I have tried to make sure that the site is error-free, but I'm sure that there are still some errors. There are about 60,000 links in the site and although I've run a link-checker and it reported that there are no broken links, there still may be some bad links. If you find one, please let me know. Be specific as to its location so I can find it and fix it.
I would greatly appreciate your input:
- Are those pages working on your current device?
- Is the new Navigation Menu workable for you? Are you able to find everything?
- What, if anything, would you like to see different?
New On the Website
This leather cigarette case was made to only hold 6 to 8 small cigarettes like Lucky Strikes, Chesterfield, Camel, Phillip Morris, and several others that were available at the time.
The image for the case has been added to "Odds and Ends" page 5.
- Amusement Zone
- Bendix Lama Temple Photo 296
- New York State Amphitheater Photo 341
- Old New York
- Election time in Old New York - photo 329
- International Curio Shop - photo 331
- Haymarket - photo 335
- P.T. Barnum's Museum - photo 328
- Hanlon's Superbus - Beautiful girls - photo 336
- Mamma Jessel's Delicatessen - photo 332
- Merrie Old England
- Courtyard - photo 337
- Highland Home Industries - photo 330
- Castle Entrance - photo 338
- Community Interests
- Schlitz Palm Garden - Photo 297
- Jewish Palestine Pavilion - Photo 298
- Cafe Tel Avive - Photo 313
- Court of States
- North Carolina - Photo 284
- Georgia - Photo 351
- "Celestial Sphere" Photo 352
- Texas - Photo 355
- Nevada - Photo 358
- Florida - photo 357
- Drake's Cakes - Photo - 356
- Academy of Sports - Photo 364
- Switzerland - Photo 274
- Japan - Photo 276
- Ireland (Erie) - Photo 289
- Chile - Photo 290
- Brazil - Photo 295
- Great Britain - Photo 302
- Production & Distribution
- Man and His Clothes - Photo 299
- Glass Inc - photo 359
- US Steel at night - photo 360
- General Electric - Man-made Lightning - photo 363
AT & T - The Voder
I had some additional information on the Voder kicking around on my computer. I'm not sure where I got it but I thought it was time to add it to the site:
Pheww....Well, between the re-coding and the new images, you can see why I haven't had time for the other related Fair things.
I hope you enjoy the changes and new additions.
People Seeking Information:
Daria Phair asked about an egg-shaped container containing sewing items, a 1940 pin and a thimble. You will find the entire question, photos, and my reply at "People Seeking Information."
1939 World's Fair Newsreel
Courtesy Periscope Films
Be sure to stay informed with new things on the World's Fair Facebook page. Among our Contributors are the Museum of the City of New York, and Author & World's Fair Authority, Mr. Bill Cotter.
Join the World's Fair Community page on Facebook - Simply "Like" the page, while you are there, and why not add a post or a comment.
Lost on facebook?: Many people have posted on the 1939 New York World's Fair Community facebook page only to get lost on the left-side under "Posts to Page.:q If you want your post to be seen in the main section of the page, I need to make you an editor. Here's what you need to do:
- Send a "Friend Request" to my personal account (Paul M. Van Dort or TriviaWolf).
- Be sure to "Like" the 1939 New York World's Fair Community page.
- Send me a message to let me know you would like to be an Editor and I'll do the rest.
Would you like a link on the World's Fair Website? Take a look at the links page to see how I am adding the links. Hover over the link name to reveal a descriptive panel, click the link to visit the site.
Contact me with the information that you want to appear. Links must be approved before they are added.
- Go to:
- Newsletter Index